Connect with us

Uncategorized

UK explorer Galileo, while exploring gold, finds ‘bonus’ nickel potential

Published

on

HARARE – AIM-traded Galileo Resources plc, which in early August identified multiple gold targets on a permit it is exploring in Zimbabwe, says the same acreage has potential nickel mineralisation too.

The company says the recent airborne geophysical survey undertaken by Xcalibur Airborne Geophysics over its two exploration licences comprising the Bulawayo Gold Project identified three nickel targets, one of which is entirely new and thus that does not appear on the relevant geological map.

Advertisement

It said there are other areas of nickel interest in addition to the three discoveries.

“An entirely new discovery has also been made, a second magnetic elliptical feature within the same granite which does not appear on the relevant Zimbabwean geological map covering the area. The rocks are interpreted as meta-gabbro and meta-basalt, both suitable nickel hosts,” the company said.

Colin Bird, Galileo chairman and chief executive, said the nickel discovery is a bonus to the company’s gold mission.

Advertisement

“A review of the geological archive has highlighted potential by referencing Phoenix, Selkirk, Empress, Hunters Road, Epoch, Damba, Mimosa, Trojan and Selukwe among the better-known Zimbabwe and Botswana nickel sulphide deposits associated with greenstone belts, faults, and the Great Dyke,” he said.

“The majority of these deposits are greenstone-hosted deposits found in meta-gabbro rocks similar to the principal targets we have identified in our survey.

“The Shangani mine located closest to our 12.6km long Kenyane nickel target contains an estimated 12Mt of ore at 0.56% Ni and is an integral part of the Bindura Nickel Corporation’s portfolio.

Advertisement

“We look forward to evaluating the principal targets identified so far together with the other nickel anomalies now in the exploration inventory and will report back to shareholders as work advances.”

Galileo’s potential nickel find confirms what many industry experts say; Zimbabwe has not invested enough in exploration.

The Mining Promotion Corporation, the state agency supposed to lead exploration, has been underfunded.

Advertisement

According to data from the Ministry of Mines, in 1999, Zimbabwe had over 300 Exclusive Prospecting Orders (EPOs), which allow a company to explore minerals. Last year, Government issued 25 EPOs, the first such issue in years.

“I honestly believe that if more exploration dollars are spent in Zimbabwe, we’ve got the potential to take this gold mining industry from where it is now to closer to 100 tonnes a year,” according to Victor Gapare, whose Bilboes Gold recently agreed a US$53 million deal with Caledonia Moning after extensive exploration that brought up a vast gold resource. – newZwire

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

In the community

Kachechete ward councillor involved in accident, admitted to hospital

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI

Councillor Given Moyo, representing Kachechete ward in Hwange Rural District Council, was involved in a car accident on Tuesday evening in Victoria Falls at Mkhosana Suburb.

Advertisement

This incident occurred just a day after he granted an interview to VicFallsLive, discussing the rising concerns of human-wildlife conflicts in his constituency.

During the interview, Moyo highlighted the losses faced by villagers due to wildlife, particularly lions, and shared a disturbing image of lions attacking donkeys.

Donkey eaten by a lion in Mvuthu

According to family spokesperson Corcaly Jamela from the Ndlosa Desk, Moyo’s vehicle reportedly fell into a ditch, resulting in injuries to the councillor and his family members. Fortunately, Moyo did not suffer any fractures, but he did sustain scratches that required stitches on his arm and other areas, Jamela said.

Moyo is currently admitted at the Victoria Falls Hospital.

Advertisement

The family has appealed for donations to help cover Moyo’s medical expenses. Given Moyo +263 7 72462892

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Slider

Cabinet approves review of tourism levies, licenses and fees

Published

on

BY STAFF REPORTER

The Cabinet has approved a review of levies, licences, fees, and permits of tourism sector , aimed at streamlining the regulatory environment and enhancing competitiveness.

Advertisement

The announcement was made during Tuesday’s post-Cabinet briefing, attended by Minister of Tourism and Hospitality Industry, Barbara Rwodzi.

The review, conducted through a consultative process, covered various subsectors, including accommodation, hospitality and catering, tour guides and operators, boating services, and vehicle rental services.

Previously, these subsectors were constrained by a complex regulatory environment, which the review aims to simplify by removing unjustifiable licences and permits, streamlining duplicative requirements, and reducing excessively high fees and levies.

Advertisement

Significantly, the review introduces a range of reductions, with some fees being cut by 25-50% and others scrapped off completely.

The reviewed instruments will undergo further refinement to ensure they fully support a competitive and thriving tourism industry.

This reform is part of the broader ease-of-doing-business agenda, designed to lower operational costs, enhance competitiveness, and drive sustainable growth in Zimbabwe’s economy.

Advertisement

The tourism sector is one of Zimbabwe’s key drivers of economic growth, and this development is expected to provide a significant boost to the industry.

Source: Zimbabwe Tourism Authority

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

National

Tragic attack in Madlambuzi: Five dead as suspected mental patient goes on rampage

Published

on

BY WANDILE TSHUMA 

Police in Madlambuzi, Matabeleland South Province has are a suspected mental patient, Phamani Sibanda, following a violent rampage that left five people dead and two others injured on Wednesday.

Advertisement

According to the police statement, Sibanda (43) allegedly attacked seven people in the village using a Mopani log, a blunt object, and an unknown sharp weapon, targeting anyone who crossed his path.

The victims of this tragic attack have been identified by their next of kin:

Elliot Khupe, 101, a male adult from Bellas Village
Butho Tshuma, 97, a female adult from Bellas Village
Constance Sibanda, 66, a female adult from Bellas Village
Tiffan Surprise Ndlovu, 6, a female juvenile from Bellas Village
Catra Matsika, 72, from Central Village

Advertisement

In addition to the fatalities, two other women, aged 90 and 41, sustained injuries and are currently receiving treatment at Madlambuzi Clinic and Plumtree District Hospital.

The ZRP has underscored the pressing need for community awareness regarding mental health issues. “We implore the public to promptly refer mental patients to medical institutions for treatment and to actively monitor their behavior to prevent such violent incidents,” the statement elaborated. It encouraged community members to report any concerns to the National Complaints Desk at (0242) 703631 or via WhatsApp at 0712 800197, or to approach the nearest police station.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 VicFallsLive. All rights reserved, powered by Advantage