Connect with us

Slider

Zimbabwe skipper out to emulate Pakistan exploits against India  

Published

on

PERTH – Zimbabwe captain Craig Ervine has challenged his players to lift for the big occasion and play the role of spoilsport in knocking India out of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup when they meet on Sunday.

While Zimbabwe are likely to be out of semi-final contention by the time they take the field in Melbourne, the same can’t be said for India as Rohit Sharma’s side seek a top-two finish in Group 2 and a place in the knockout stages of the tournament.

Advertisement

Zimbabwe have already shown their class by upsetting Pakistan at the T20 World Cup and Ervine wants his players to do similar when they take on India in front of a crowd that is expected to nudge close to 90,000 at the MCG.

“With the win against Pakistan, it’s given us a huge amount of belief that we can beat any side in the tournament,” Ervine said on Saturday.

“I don’t think that will change going into tomorrow’s game.”

Advertisement

Just how well Zimbabwe’s bowling attack can combat the likes of Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli and Suryakumar Yadav will be pivotal to the outcome of the game and Ervine wants to see his pace attack rise for the occasion.

Blessing Muzarabani will once again lead the Zimbabwe pacers and the beanpole quick has been a revelation at the T20 World Cup so far to sit tied for second for most wickets with 11 scalps.

Fellow seamer Richard Ngarava has eight wickets of his own, while star all-rounder Sikandar Raza has chimed in with nine scalps to go with his team-high 185 runs, and Ervine sees great opportunity for his team against India.

Advertisement

“This is a great opportunity to bowl against some of the best guys in the world, so there’s no reason why guys would not want to actually get out there and produce the goods,” he said.

“How often do you get the opportunity to put Virat Kohli in your pocket? I’m pretty sure thAnd while Ervine would love nothing more than getting the key wicket of Kohli cheaply, he knows that will be a tough ask for his side given the current form of the former India captain who has only been dismissed once in four innings at this T20 World Cup.

“I don’t think we have any plans against Virat. I think he’s just too good a player,” Ervine said.

Advertisement

“A lot of the guys you can dissect so many different theories, and at the end of the day, if you come out and hit a good area, use your change-ups, all those sort of things, I don’t think that special plans really work for these guys because they’re so good at adapting to different conditions and different situations.” – ICC

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Government launches nationwide dog vaccination drive amid surge in rabies cases

Published

on

BY WANDILE TSHUMA 

The Government has launched an urgent nationwide dog vaccination campaign following a surge in rabies cases across Zimbabwe.

Advertisement

In a statement posted over the weekend, the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Development said the country is experiencing a significant rise in rabies infections, largely linked to domestic dogs and wild jackals.

Permanent Secretary Prof. Obert Jiri confirmed that 650,000 doses of rabies vaccine have been secured from Botswana — exceeding the country’s usual annual requirement — to contain the escalating threat.

The Ministry said the campaign will be rolled out in the coming weeks across all provinces, targeting hotspots near national parks and conservancies, as well as urban areas that have recorded increasing cases.

Advertisement

Prof. Jiri stressed the urgency of seeking immediate medical attention following dog bites, warning that rabies is fatal in humans once symptoms appear.

He appealed to dog owners to ensure their pets are vaccinated, saying collective action remains the primary defence against the deadly disease and is critical in preventing further fatalities.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

Matabeleland North flags aid discrimination as provinces record widespread violations

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI 

Matabeleland North recorded cases of discrimination in government aid distribution and political interference in community leadership, as human rights violations were reported across all provinces in January, according to the Zimbabwe Peace Project (ZPP).

Advertisement

In Matabeleland North, five violations were documented.

“On 9 January 2026, in Ward 29 (Emphafeni), farmers reported irregularities in agricultural input distribution, including selective allocation of groundnuts and maize seed to ruling party supporters, and sharing of 50kg fertiliser bags among three farmers, raising concerns over fairness and equal access to government assistance,” the report states.

In Binga South, a village secretary was removed from his position “for not aligning with ruling party positions, affecting his political rights and freedom of association.”

Advertisement

In Matabeleland South, four violations were recorded, mainly involving political intimidation. In Gwanda, individuals allegedly invaded Vubachikwe Mine claiming political backing, while in Bulilima West, villagers were reportedly threatened with losing land under the land reform programme if they did not support the “2030” agenda.

Bulawayo recorded two violations, including a case where “a visually impaired woman was denied bus transport from Bulawayo to South Africa despite having valid travel documents and fare, raising concerns of discrimination based on disability.” Residents in Old Magwegwe also reported prolonged sewage blockages exposing families to health risks.

Midlands province recorded 13 violations, including environmental concerns in Redcliff and Kwekwe over potential water contamination linked to gold processing chemicals. In Zhombe, political interference prevented enforcement of a court sentence in an assault case. In Silobela, police disrupted a Gukurahundi memorial service organised by a human rights group.

Advertisement

Masvingo recorded 19 violations, including the assault and arrest of a female vendor at SimRac Shopping Complex. The report says her goods were destroyed in what it describes as harassment of informal traders. Patients at Mashoko Hospital and Gawa Clinic also faced high user fees and limited medication.

Mashonaland West recorded 10 violations, including alleged irregularities in agricultural input distribution in Magunje and assault linked to ruling party supporters in Sanyati.

Mashonaland East documented six violations. In Murehwa North, “Provincial Chairperson and Minister Daniel Garwe threatened individuals in Ward 30, warning that those supporting the opposition CCC would be excluded from community programs and that anyone associating with CCC members could face violent reprisals.”

Advertisement

Mashonaland Central recorded four violations, including exclusion of community members, including persons with disabilities, from presidential agricultural inputs in Mt Darwin South, and learners being denied access to Grade 7 results over unpaid fees.

Harare recorded 16 violations, including assaults linked to political intolerance, disruption of civic gatherings, politicisation of borehole water access in Glenview, and the detention of a political activist over a planned protest.

Manicaland recorded the highest number of violations at 31. ZPP said incidents involved “state security agents, ruling party members, war veterans, and local authorities,” including intimidation of a human rights defender in Chimanimani and disruption of a community meeting in Nyanga South.

Advertisement

Overall, ZPP said the January data reflects “continued structural and institutional challenges in the protection, promotion, and fulfilment of human rights,” reinforcing the need for strengthened accountability and rights-based governance across the country.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

Police arrest six in major drug busts across the country

Published

on

BY BANDILE TSHUMA

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has arrested six suspects in separate incidents involving the unlawful possession and cultivation of dangerous drugs across the country.

Advertisement

In a press statement written on Monday, police said the arrests were part of ongoing efforts to curb drug trafficking and substance abuse.

On Sunday , police in Plumtree intercepted a Toyota Quantum vehicle and arrested Msawenkosi Ndlovu (49) and Vengai Chawa (41). The two were found in possession of 5 124 bottles of Broncleer cough syrup (100ml) and 4 170 bottles of Astra Pain cough syrup (100ml). The illicit substances are valued at approximately US$80 000.

In a separate case on the same day, police in Wedza arrested Emanuel Busemani (28) at Plot 7 Investment Farm in Melfort, Goromonzi in connection with the unlawful cultivation of dagga.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, in Bubi, Lacken Tshuma (55) and Owner Muleya (32) were arrested on Monday at Inunwa Ranch for unlawful cultivation of dagga.

In another incident on Friday, Tinashe Mero Shoko (22) and Eliot Badza (33) were arrested at a house in Garikai, Dulibadzimu, Beitbridge after police recovered 100 kilogrammes of dagga.

Police reiterated that the fight against drug and illicit substance peddling and trafficking will continue for the safety and security of Zimbabweans.

Advertisement

The ZRP urged members of the public to provide information on drug lords, dealers and criminal syndicates. Reports can be made through the National Complaints Desk on (0242) 703 631, via WhatsApp on 0712 800 197, or at any nearest police station.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 VicFallsLive. All rights reserved, powered by Advantage