PERTH – Zimbabwe captain Craig Ervine has challenged his players to lift for the big occasion and play the role of spoilsport in knocking India out of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup when they meet on Sunday.
While Zimbabwe are likely to be out of semi-final contention by the time they take the field in Melbourne, the same can’t be said for India as Rohit Sharma’s side seek a top-two finish in Group 2 and a place in the knockout stages of the tournament.
Zimbabwe have already shown their class by upsetting Pakistan at the T20 World Cup and Ervine wants his players to do similar when they take on India in front of a crowd that is expected to nudge close to 90,000 at the MCG.
“With the win against Pakistan, it’s given us a huge amount of belief that we can beat any side in the tournament,” Ervine said on Saturday.
“I don’t think that will change going into tomorrow’s game.”
Just how well Zimbabwe’s bowling attack can combat the likes of Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli and Suryakumar Yadav will be pivotal to the outcome of the game and Ervine wants to see his pace attack rise for the occasion.
Blessing Muzarabani will once again lead the Zimbabwe pacers and the beanpole quick has been a revelation at the T20 World Cup so far to sit tied for second for most wickets with 11 scalps.
Fellow seamer Richard Ngarava has eight wickets of his own, while star all-rounder Sikandar Raza has chimed in with nine scalps to go with his team-high 185 runs, and Ervine sees great opportunity for his team against India.
“This is a great opportunity to bowl against some of the best guys in the world, so there’s no reason why guys would not want to actually get out there and produce the goods,” he said.
“How often do you get the opportunity to put Virat Kohli in your pocket? I’m pretty sure thAnd while Ervine would love nothing more than getting the key wicket of Kohli cheaply, he knows that will be a tough ask for his side given the current form of the former India captain who has only been dismissed once in four innings at this T20 World Cup.
“I don’t think we have any plans against Virat. I think he’s just too good a player,” Ervine said.
“A lot of the guys you can dissect so many different theories, and at the end of the day, if you come out and hit a good area, use your change-ups, all those sort of things, I don’t think that special plans really work for these guys because they’re so good at adapting to different conditions and different situations.” – ICC
Binga by-elections called off: ZEC
BY STAFF REPORTER
The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) has suspended the by-elections for wards 6, 8, 10, 15, and 23 of Binga Rural District Council in Matabeleland North Province which were scheduled for Saturday.
ZEC chief elections officer Utloile Silaigwana made the announcement on Friday following a High Court order after Collen Mudenda challenged the nomination of the five councillors who were recalled in October by the MDC-T party.
“The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission would like to inform members of the public that the High Court has ordered the suspension of by-elections for wards 6, 8, 10, 15, and 23 of Binga Rural District Council scheduled for Saturday 03 December 2022,” Silaigwana said.
“This follows urgent chamber applications by Collen Mudenda who challenged the nominations of John Simunene Sikabotu, Kingson Mpofu, Mathias Mudenda, Joseph Mwembe, and Wilson Siampolomba on the grounds that they were disqualified from contesting as candidates in terms of Section 119 (2) (h) of the Electoral Act.
“The Section states that a person shall be disqualified from being nominated as a candidate on the nomination day or the day of an election when he or she is in default with the payment of any levy, rate, charge, or tax due and payable to the council concerned for more than 120 days.”
Silaigwana said the High Court ordered that the Commission should not proceed with the by-elections for the five wards pending the hearing of thr cases which was postponed to January 4, next year.
He, however said despite the Binga order, by-elections for ward 20 of Binga Rural District Council, wards 4, 5, and 18 of Gweru Municipality, and ward 28 of Mberengwa Rural District Council will go ahead ahead as scheduled on Saturday.
Myths on Covid-19 pandemic spread across Hwange
BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI
Innocent Tevedzai, chairperson of the Zimbabwe Chamber of informal Association for People With Disabilities says after getting inoculated vaccines to prevent Covid-19 pandemic, he was told that he will lose his fertility in the coming years.
Royal Ndlovu, a Victoria Falls Combined Residents Association member says he was also discouraged from taking the vaccines after he heard that he was not only going to lose his fertility, but vaccines also meant losing his libido.
Zimbabwe first rolled out Covid-19 vaccines early last year with the country relying mostly on Chinese made vaccines to bring the pandemic that paralysed the economy under control.
Hwange district, where Ndlovu and Tevedzai come from was one of the areas that were prioritised by the government in the vaccination blitz as it sought to have tourist resorts re-opened for tourists, but community listening sessions held by VicFallsLive in some parts of Hwange district in Matabeleland North showed that some people are still sceptical about the safety of the vaccines.
Community leaders said the government did little to counter the misinformation, which is largely blamed on social media and this fuelled vaccination hesitancy.
As such, ordinarily, Zimbabweans are caught up in a lot of myths and of course misinformation about the pandemic.
“We were told that we will not be able to conceive as this was intentionally done to reduce the population.” Tevedzai said.
“Lack of verified information made it worse for us because we had to be vaccinated to gain public access at the time when misinformation and social ills such as teen pregnancies rose.”
Hwange villagers, like other people in many parts of Zimbabwe were victims of misinformation about the vaccines, including allegations that those who got the Covid-19 vaccine will turn into baboons or that the vaccines were part of a scheme to reduce Africa’s population.
Even the World Health Organization says the Covid-19 outbreak and response was accompanied by an overabundance of information, some accurate and some not.
For Michael Ncube, a Victoria Falls City Council’ acting Public Health Officer, “this makes it tough for people to then find reliable sources and dependable guidance when they need it to fully curtail coronavirus,” he said.
The myths Ncube added, included claims on cures and prevention.
“For instance, people were told that when they vaccinate they will lose fertility or will die as this was deliberately done by the government to reduce Zimbabweans population, which is just mythical and therefore untrue,”
“We would like to assure out residents that the vaccines are safe and the country has highly specialised health personnels who also confirmed them and because of those vaccines, that’s why we have managed to set a barrier to prevent the transmission and that has paid off, as we have seen hospitalisations and deaths reduced and the economy fully opened.”
Zimbabwe has administered over 12 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines so far.
Armed robber storms Victoria Falls bank, walks away with US$12K
BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI
Zimbabwe Republic Police have revealed that the robber who held at ransom ZB bank workers on Wednesday after pretending to be applying for a bank loan got away with US$12 000 cash.
The man dressed in black and white jersey, a hat and khaki as captured hours later through bank cameras pointing a shotgun towards workers while loading the money in his satchel that he was holding.
“The ZRP confirms that a robbery occurred at ZB Bank, Victoria Falls, on 30/11/22 at around 15.55 pm hours where an unknown suspect, armed with an unidentified pistol, posed as a genuine customer who wanted to enquire on the requirements to apply for a bank loan, “police said in a statement.
“As the bank was about to close for the day, the suspect remained behind while other customers were leaving. After all the other customers had left, he produced a pistol and ordered the bank tellers to surrender cash in their tills.
“The suspect stole US$12 000 before fleeing through the back exit door. Investigations are underway to account for the suspect.”
According to sources, the man was seen walking away until he disappeared.
Meanwhile, police said they were also investigating an armed robbery case which occurred at a college in Chitunguza’s Seke residency on Monday, where three unknown suspects, armed with three unidentified pistols, attacked a security guard who was on duty at the premises and stole US$3 094 fuel coupons, US$8 076, and $43 100 cash after vandalising a safe.
Slider3 weeks ago
Innscor launches brewery to produce Nyathi beer
News1 year ago
Victoria Falls bartender gored to death by elephant
News2 weeks ago
39 Bulawayo students arrested at a Vuzu party, police recover used condoms
News3 weeks ago
Vic Falls girl suicide: Father alleges rape as the cause of daughter’s demise
News1 year ago
In perched rural Matabeleland North, renewable energy is vital
News4 weeks ago
Student caught with ammunition at Victoria Falls International Airport
News3 weeks ago
11 year-old Victoria Falls girl hangs herself
News2 weeks ago
Victoria Falls man rapes six year-old niece