Connect with us

National

Uproar as ZEC cancels Victoria Falls voter registration exercise

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI

The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) has come under fire from Victoria Falls residents after it cancelled a voter registration outreach programme in the resort town at short notice, citing lack of transport for its staff.

Advertisement

ZEC had announced that it will conduct a voter registration exercise at Mosi-Oa-Tunya High School between Tuesday and Wednesday.

The commission, however, announced a day before the exercise was due to start that it had been cancelled.

Mosi- Oa-Tunya High School headmaster Roland Sibanda said he was informed that there was no car to carry ZEC equipment and staff to the registration centre.

Advertisement

“They notified me (on Monday) because I had given them the venue at the school,” Sibanda said.

“They told me that they were not given the promised car to use as theirs has a breakdown and is supposed to be towed to Bulawayo anytime for repairs.”

Hwange West Member of Parliament Godfrey Dube said he only learnt about the cancellation through social media.

Advertisement

Dube’s constituency covers Victoria Falls urban and rural wards.

“I had to ask one of their officials in Bulawayo after hearing about the developments on social media and they told me that they have transport challenges,” Dube said.

“The cancellation will dampen prospective voters’ mood and kill the vibe that has been there because the focus has been on the youths and all those that did not vote in 2018.”

Advertisement

The legislator said since there was no ZEC office in Victoria Falls, people had to travel to Hwange to register to vote, which was an expense.

Dube said the commission must set up an office in Victoria Falls since it now has city status.

“People have been complaining that they have to walk for 100 kilometres to get registered and for ZEC to make a u-turn after promising to come here, it will appear like a deliberate decision to frustrate prospective voters,” he said.

Advertisement

“There has to be a ZEC office in Victoria Falls because we have rural villagers in the radius of about 60 kilometres, who can easily access Victoria Falls but cannot access Hwange.”

In 2018, slightly over 32 000 people registered to vote in Hwange West and according to Dube, for 2023, they are looking at more than 10 000 new voters.

“As of 2018, we had 32 184 registered voters and we are looking at about 5 000 to 10 000 more people registering within the constituency, but we worry about these long-distance arrangements when there is lockdown in place.”

Advertisement

Activists and the mainstream opposition MDC Alliance have been mobilising Zimbabweans through social media to register to vote in their numbers ahead of the crucial 2023 elections.

The campaign gained momentum early this month when a huge voter turnout helped Zambian opposition leader Hakainde Hichilema defeat the incumbent Edgar Lungu by one million votes in the presidential elections.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Tragic attack in Madlambuzi: Five dead as suspected mental patient goes on rampage

Published

on

BY WANDILE TSHUMA 

Police in Madlambuzi, Matabeleland South Province has are a suspected mental patient, Phamani Sibanda, following a violent rampage that left five people dead and two others injured on Wednesday.

According to the police statement, Sibanda (43) allegedly attacked seven people in the village using a Mopani log, a blunt object, and an unknown sharp weapon, targeting anyone who crossed his path.

The victims of this tragic attack have been identified by their next of kin:

Elliot Khupe, 101, a male adult from Bellas Village
Butho Tshuma, 97, a female adult from Bellas Village
Constance Sibanda, 66, a female adult from Bellas Village
Tiffan Surprise Ndlovu, 6, a female juvenile from Bellas Village
Catra Matsika, 72, from Central Village

In addition to the fatalities, two other women, aged 90 and 41, sustained injuries and are currently receiving treatment at Madlambuzi Clinic and Plumtree District Hospital.

The ZRP has underscored the pressing need for community awareness regarding mental health issues. “We implore the public to promptly refer mental patients to medical institutions for treatment and to actively monitor their behavior to prevent such violent incidents,” the statement elaborated. It encouraged community members to report any concerns to the National Complaints Desk at (0242) 703631 or via WhatsApp at 0712 800197, or to approach the nearest police station.

 

Continue Reading

National

US suspends visa processing in Zimbabwe, embassy says

Published

on

BY REUTERS

The United States has stopped processing most visas in Zimbabwe until further notice, its embassy in the capital Harare said on Wednesday, citing unspecified concerns with the government.
“We have paused routine visa services in Harare while we address concerns with the Government of Zimbabwe,” the embassy said in a post on X. It said the move was not a travel ban and that current visas would remain valid.
The government of the Southern African country did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
The pause took effect on August 7, according to a notice on the U.S. State Department’s website, which said it applied to all visa services with the exception of most diplomatic and official visas.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration has restricted travel from a number of African countries, saying it is working to prevent visa overstaying and misuse.
Zimbabwe had a visa overstay rate of 10.57% in 2023, according to a U.S. Department of Homeland Security report.
Starting this week, the U.S. will require visa applicants from Zambia and Malawi to pay bonds of up to $15,000 for some visitor visas. The Trump administration has also paused visa processing in Niger.
Harare resident Angella Chirombo said her 18-year-old son had received a scholarship to do his bachelor’s degree at Michigan State University and had been waiting for a visa interview when the pause hit.
“He was supposed to be in school already. I paid for everything else and was waiting for the visa so I could buy tickets,” she told Reuters.
She said other parents were considering booking interviews at other U.S. embassies in Southern Africa, but that she wouldn’t be able to afford the travel.
“Now they are saying we can go to Zambia and Namibia. I don’t even have money right now and I don’t know where to get this money. They are so many students that have been affected.”

Continue Reading

National

Landmark HIV trial begins in Zimbabwe

Published

on


BY PAUL SIXPENCE

ZIMBABWE became the first site for the administration of a new investigational HIV vaccine. The first doses of the IAVI C114 clinical trial were administered in late July 2025 at the Mutala Trust clinical site in Harare, CITE reports.
“This is a landmark moment for South Africa, Zimbabwe, and the continent. It shows the power of true partnership,” said Dr. Tariro Makadzange, clinical trial lead, Mutala Trust.

“We are edging closer to an HIV vaccine, made possible by global collaboration, with clinical trials conducted in Africa, for Africa, and for the world.”

The development of the vaccine is a partnership that brings together Zimbabwe’s Mutala Trust, ReiThera, the Ragon Institute, International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) and African researchers who are co-leading every phase of the trial.

In phase one of the trial, the vaccine candidate, Gorilla Adenovirus Vectored HIV Networked Epitopes Vaccine (GRAdHIVNE1) will be administered to 120 adults between the ages of 18 and 50 years including 48 people living with HIV who are virally suppressed on antiretroviral therapy (ART). Besides Zimbabwe, two other clinical trial sites are located in Cape Town and Durban, South Africa.

Trial sites were chosen on the basis of their high HIV burden and to ensure that the vaccine candidate is tested within communities affected by the epidemic.

This phase of the trial will assess the safety and ability of the vaccine candidate to provoke an immune response in the human body in persons living with HIV and those who are HIV negative.

“The IAVI C114 trial is testing a new vaccine candidate known as GRAdHIVNE1. The trial represents the first time this vaccine is being tested in humans and is aimed at assessing the safety of the vaccine and its ability to stimulate the immune system,” said Dr. Vincent Muturi-Kioi, HIV Vaccines Product Development Team Lead, IAVI.

In a statement, IAVI further advised that “trial participants will receive either one or two doses of the investigational vaccine or a placebo and will be monitored over a period of 19 months for safety and immune responses.” Results of the trial are likely to be available in 2027.

In the past, several HIV vaccine trials have been conducted but none proved effective in preventing HIV acquisition. The novelity of this vaccine candidate lies in that, it uses a harmless viral vector to deliver small parts of HIV “derived from critical structural regions of HIV that are less likely to mutate” with an expected likelihood to trigger an immune response.

“GRAdHIVNE1 uses a harmless virus (a vector for the vaccine derived from a non-replicating gorilla adenovirus) to deliver small, conserved parts of HIV (called epitopes) to the body’s immune system. These targets are derived from critical structural regions of HIV that are less likely to mutate, making them good targets for killer T cells in the immune system (CD8+ T cell responses) — a type of immune defense thought to be important for long-term protection against HIV. The viral vector was selected based on its ability to stimulate this type of response. Should the vaccine be successful in stimulating the desired response, it could be tested in future trials to assess its efficacy,” Dr. Vincent Muturi-Kioi further explained.

The initiation of this clinical trial demonstrates the power of partnerships at a time when the world is witnessing funding cuts towards global public health research. The IAVIC114 clinical trial is sponsored by IAVI. The vaccine candidate, GRAdHIVNE1, was developed by ReiThera and the Ragon Institute with funding from the GatesFoundation. African researchers will be leading

SOURCE| CITE

Advertisement



Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 VicFallsLive. All rights reserved, powered by Advantage