Connect with us

National

Journalist’s convinction a travesty of justice, say campaigners  

Published

on

BY JASON BURKE

Media freedom campaigners have criticised the conviction of a journalist in Zimbabwe   for allegedly breaking immigration laws, describing the decision as “a monumental travesty of justice” that raises concerns for the press in the lead-up to elections next year.

Advertisement

Jeffrey Moyo, a freelance correspondent for the New York Times, was given a suspended prison sentence of five years and fined US$615 by a court in Bulawayo after being found guilty on Tuesday of helping to obtain press accreditation needed by two reporters from his news organisation to enter Zimbabwe.

Prosecutors said the accreditation was fake – a charge denied by the New York Times. Moyo spent three weeks in jail last year and his trial started in January. The 37-year-old reporter’s legal team said they would appeal against the decision.

Angela Quintal, the Africa programme coordinator of  the Committee to Protect Journalists, a US-based campaign group, said the court’s decision showed that press freedom in Zimbabwe had deteriorated under President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who took power after the fall of the veteran autocrat Robert Mugabe in 2017.

Advertisement

“The fact that Moyo’s prison sentence was suspended does not make it any less of a mockery of justice. Authorities must not contest Moyo’s appeal, and ensure that he and other journalists can work in Zimbabwe freely, especially with a general election scheduled for next year,” Quintal said.

The military takeover that ousted Mugabe led to a brief period of relative tolerance in Zimbabwe. Mnangagwa, a former spy chief known as the Crocodile, promised political and economic reform leading to major investment from overseas.

But successive crackdowns led to hundreds of opposition activists being harassed, abducted and assaulted, dashing hopes of democratic reform.

Advertisement

Repression has continued, with journalists and others who have criticised the government facing what many observers say are politically motivated charges designed to intimidate or obstruct their work.

Reporters and campaigners who have made allegations of corruption against officials have been particular targets.

Campaigners fear repression is likely to intensify in the coming months.

Advertisement

Zimbabwe’s ruling Zanu-PF party may be facing an uphill struggle to secure a clear victory in the 2023 presidential election, which is due after a new opposition party made significant gains in March byelections.

The Citizens Coalition for Change, which was only founded in January, won 19 out of 28 parliamentary seats in polls widely regarded as a test run for next year’s election.

In 2018 a fractured opposition came within one person  of forcing Mnangagwa into a runoff.

Advertisement

The vote was marred by allegations of rigging. – The Guardian

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Ranger killed by elephant in Kariba

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI 

A 62-year-old ranger, Josphat Mandishara, was tragically killed by an elephant in Kariba yesterday.

Advertisement

Mandishara, who worked for the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZimParks), was on patrol in the Gatche-gatche area with fellow rangers and police officers.

At around 10 pm, Mandishara returned to the harbor where their boat was docked, and that’s when he encountered the elephant. The elephant charged at him, causing fatal injuries. His colleagues were nearby, resupplying at the Gatche-gatche Irrigation Scheme.

Mandishara’s body was taken to Kariba District Hospital for a post-mortem, and the incident was reported to the police.

Advertisement

ZimParks has sent a team to manage the problem elephant and prevent similar incidents in the future.

The Director General of ZimParks, Prof. Edson Gandiwa, and his team have sent condolences to Mandishara’s family, friends, and colleagues. Mandishara will be remembered for his dedication to wildlife conservation in Zimbabwe.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

ZIMRA customs officer appears in court for criminal abuse of office

Published

on

BY STAFF REPORTER 

A Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) customs officer, Phillip Kuvenga, has been accused of criminal abuse of office for allegedly assisting in the importation of banned motor vehicles.

Advertisement

Kuvenga, 28, who is stationed at Victoria Falls, allegedly received documents from clients, completed valuation sheets, and carried out the valuation process. However, he is accused of endorsing different chassis numbers to deceive his supervisors during the validation and approval process.

After obtaining approval, Kuvenga would capture the correct chassis numbers in the ASYCUDA World System. He would then alter or replace the documents submitted earlier to his supervisors.

The offense came to light when a motor vehicle that had not yet arrived in Zimbabwe was found to have been already registered. A thorough check by ZIMRA led to Kuvenga’s arrest.

Advertisement

Kuvenga appeared in court on February 1, where he was denied bail by Magistrate Gift Manyka. He is expected to appear in court again today for another bail hearing.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

Retailers send Mnangagwa SOS as shops continue shutting down over operational woes

Published

on


BY ZIMLIVE

The Confederation of Zimbabwe Retailers (CZR) has implored President Emmerson Mnangagwa to intervene and save the sector which has seen various formal retail and wholesale businesses closing shop countrywide due to operational challenges.

Advertisement

In a statement on Sunday, CZR president Denford Mutashu said the continued closure of formal retail and wholesale businesses is a direct consequence of the tough economic environment that has consistently failed to support formalised sector players who face stiff competition from informal businesses and vendors the majority of whom have no tax obligations to deal with.

Mutashu said his association was concerned that authorities continue to downplay the crisis.

“The recent closure of several outlets under the N. Richards Group, coupled with Spar Zimbabwe’s painful decision to shut down Queensdale Spar, Choppies Zimbabwe’s exit from the market, and Mahommed Mussa’s significant reduction of shop space by 60%, highlights the growing crisis.

Advertisement

“As the representative association for these and other brands, CZR is alarmed that while formal businesses face enormous challenges, the authorities continue to present a different picture of the operating environment,” he said.

Given the situation, Mutashu said, only President Mnangagwa can rescue the troubled sector.

“CZR therefore calls for urgent intervention from His Excellency, President Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa, to rescue what remains of the formalized retail and wholesale sector,” said Mutashu.

Advertisement

He said the sector was in urgent need of rescue.

“While CZR acknowledges the continued support from the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, it is clear that the root causes of these challenges are fiscal and monetary in nature. These require urgent and decisive action to ensure the survival of formal businesses.

“CZR therefore appeals to the Presidium to prioritize interventions aimed at saving jobs and mitigating the ongoing wave of shop closures and retrenchments,” he said.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 VicFallsLive. All rights reserved, powered by Advantage