Connect with us

National

Hwange Power Station strike escalates as MP, unionist clash

Published

on


BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI

Negotiations between striking workers at the Hwange Power Station expansion project and their Chinese employer ended prematurely on Friday after a top official from the Zimbabwe Construction and Allied Workers’ Union (ZCATWU) walked out.

ZCATWU secretary general Machapuwa Mazarura was said to have objected to the presence of Hwange Central Member of Parliament Daniel Molokele and left in a huff.

Advertisement

The workers went on strike this week demanding that their employer Sino Hydro, which is contracted by the Zimbabwe Power Company to add two units at the country’s largest thermal power station, must pay them in foreign currency.

They are also protesting about alleged abuse by their supervisors, lack of protective clothing, transport allowances and poor diet, among other issues.

Molokele said he had been invited by some of the workers to observe proceedings at Friday’s meeting.

Advertisement

“Mazarura said he can’t chair the meeting whilst the MP is inside,” one of the worker, who was at the meeting told VicFallsLive.

“The MP then told him that he was only there to observe the proceedings as the project is in his constituency and had been invited by the aggrieved workers, but Mazarura insisted that he wouldn’t chair the meeting if the MP was there together with some cameraman who was filming the proceedings.

“So the meeting didn’t resolve anything because of the back and forth.

Advertisement

“Mazarura abandoned the meeting and walked to his car, and he was followed by some Chinese officials and through our committee, we understand that the Chinese told him that they are ready to pay us in United States, but they only wanted us to organise ourselves.”

In a leaked audio, Mazarura and Molokele can be heard exchanging harsh words.

“I told you that I am not leaving, do whatever you want,” Molokele was heard shouting.”

Advertisement

Mazarura shot back: “So if you are not leaving we will leave it you,”

Molokele responded: “I am within the law and I sit as the MP.

“Go and check the constitution and my role as the MP and if you haven’t read it, I can open it for you right now.

Advertisement

“You are a sell out, you want to negotiate with them in private.”

The workers said during the meeting, which started around 9 AM outside the company’s premises before moving to the main offices, there was no hint Sino was prepared to pay employees in foreign currency.

“The lowest grade (4) workers are paid $20 000 while those in the upper grade (1) gets paid between $20 000 to $35 000,” another source revealed.

Advertisement

“No one here gets more than that except those in the top management.

‘ That’s why we are trying to negotiate. We are frustrated by the way our supervisors are treating us and we are also given poorly cooked meals.

“Those that work from their homes are not being given meals here yet the work is straining us.”

Advertisement

Both Molokele and Mazarura could not be reached for comment.

The expansion project, which will add 600 megawatts into the national grid is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

MPs challenge Government on fertiliser delays, livestock disease prevention and rural roads in Parliament

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI

Members of Parliament pressed Government ministers on pressing issues affecting farmers and rural communities during oral questions at the beginning of yesterday’s parliamentary sitting, according to the Hansard record released from the Parliament of Zimbabwe.

Advertisement

MP Kudakwashe Mananzva raised concerns about delays in the distribution of critical fertiliser following reports that Ammonium Nitrate (AN) had not yet reached farmers despite good rains this season.

“This year we received good rains and we received fertiliser compound D but we did not receive the Ammonium Nitrate (AN). What is the Government policy to make sure that people receive their AN fertiliser in time?” the MP asked, prompting an immediate response from the Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs, Ziyambi Ziyambi.

In reply, Minister Ziyambi acknowledged logistical challenges facing distribution agencies but stressed that efforts were underway to address the delays. “They experienced some delays in terms of transportation,” he said, adding that authorities had pledged to ensure AN fertiliser was disbursed and that “when the rains recommence, farmers will continue farming and we will make sure farmers will receive their fertilisers.” He concluded with a pledge to “fight to make sure that all fertilisers are disbursed in time,” reflecting Government’s commitment to agricultural support.

Advertisement

In the same session, Patrick Sagandira, the elected Member of Parliament for Makoni Central, raised concern about the spread of livestock diseases affecting cattle in the wake of heavy rains, with particular reference to January disease, which devastates herds during the rainy season. 

Sagandira asked: “What is the Government policy in making sure that farmers get medication for their livestock, especially the January disease?”

Minister Ziyambi reiterated Government advice on preventative measures rather than direct treatment. “To avoid January disease… every week, farmers are expected to spray the cattle or there must be dip tanks,” he said, noting that the Ministry had distributed “some tick grease to farmers in the rural areas” to help curb infestations and disease transmission.

Advertisement

Turning to critical infrastructure,Tendai Pinduka questioned the Minister of Transport and Infrastructural Development, Felix Mhona, on Government policy regarding rural roads, many of which have been damaged by recent rainfall.

“Most of the roads, especially those in rural areas, have been eroded by rainfall,” Pinduka said, asking when fuel allocations for road rehabilitation would be released to councils.

Minister Mhona explained that responsibilities for road maintenance are divided among authorities, with rural district councils and agencies like RIDA responsible for specific networks. He stressed that Government, through the Zimbabwe National Roads Administration (ZINARA) and the Emergency Roads Rehabilitation Programme Phase 2 (ERRP2), would support councils.

Advertisement

“We are pleading with the Rural District Councils that they must give us names of the roads and the kilometres that need to be rehabilitated,” he told MPs, adding that monitoring would ensure fuel disbursed was used for its intended purpose.

Supplementary questions further highlighted concerns about damaged bridges critical for access to schools and clinics. In response, Minister Mhona stressed the importance of collaboration between provincial engineers, councils and the Ministry to ensure “bridges can be rehabilitated swiftly.”

On frustration from MPs about failure to access fuel due to prior reporting shortfalls, the Minister said the Ministry had found solutions in some cases, including allocating further fuel while addressing accountability concerns.

Advertisement

Finally, questions arose about deteriorating town roads. Minister Mhona clarified that urban road networks fall under local authority jurisdiction, but reaffirmed Government commitment through ERRP2 to step in when needed, stating that “no place and no one is going to be left behind.”

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

War veteran Blessed Geza dies in exile

Published

on

BY STAFF REPORTER

War veteran Blessed Runesu Geza, who rose to national prominence after publicly calling for the resignation of President Emmerson Mnangagwa, has died in exile in South Africa, his family has announced.

Advertisement

In a statement released on Friday, the Geza family said he died on Thursday morning at a cardiac hospital in South Africa after a battle with cancer.

“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of our hero Cde Blessed Runesu Geza, popularly known as Cde Bombshell,” the family said.

Geza, a liberation war veteran, gained a large following in recent years through his outspoken criticism of the government and his calls for political accountability, positioning himself as a vocal figure within Zimbabwe’s increasingly polarised political landscape.

Advertisement

The family said Geza “touched many lives with his fight for justice to ensure that all Zimbabweans realise their aspirations,” and urged the public to remain strong during what it described as a trying moment.

They also cautioned Zimbabweans against fundraising initiatives linked to his death, warning that some individuals may seek to “cash in” on the tragedy.

“We encourage Zimbabweans to ignore any call for GoFundMe towards his funeral,” the statement said.

Advertisement

Funeral arrangements are still being finalised and will be communicated in due course, the family added. They said a designated family spokesperson would be announced to handle all official communication.

Geza had been living outside Zimbabwe at the time of his death, having relocated to South Africa amid heightened political tensions.

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

National

Government to reward top-performing schools nationwide

Published

on

BY NOSIZO MPOFU

The Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education has launched a new national initiative to promote and reward academic excellence across Zimbabwe’s education system, Minister Torerayi Moyo has announced.

Advertisement

In a post on X, Minister Moyo said the programme will recognise and award the top 10 best-performing schools in each province, based on their 2025 pass rates at Grade Seven, Ordinary Level and Advanced Level.

“The recognition is a celebration of high-performing schools that have consistently demonstrated a strong commitment to academic achievement and the holistic development of learners,” said Moyo. He added that the initiative aligns with the Government’s commitment to providing equitable, inclusive and quality education, in line with Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG 4).

In addition to provincial awards, the ministry will also identify and reward the top five best-performing schools nationally in the 2025 Zimbabwe School Examinations Council (ZIMSEC) and Cambridge examinations. These schools will be honoured on 20 March 2026.

Advertisement

According to the minister, the recognised institutions will serve as “beacons of excellence and inspiration,” setting benchmarks for quality education and academic performance across the country.

Minister Moyo also called on individuals, corporates, well-wishers and development partners to support the initiative through sponsorships, awards, grants and other forms of assistance.

“This support will go a long way in motivating our hardworking teachers and headmasters,” he said.

Advertisement

Those interested in supporting the programme have been advised to contact the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education Head Office through official communication channels.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 VicFallsLive. All rights reserved, powered by Advantage