Connect with us

National

Victoria Falls smuggler wants ivory possession charges dropped

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI

A Victoria Falls magistrate will next week rule whether the trial of a convicted smuggler on fresh charges of stashing three pieces of ivory in his car two years should proceed after he argued that testimonies by key witnesses show he was framed.

Advertisement

Stanley Takavada (46), from Mkhosana suburb was in 2019 convicted for possession of smuggled goods after he was caught at a police roadblock along the Kazungula-Victoria Falls road.

Takavada, whose car was forfeited to the state after his conviction, was re-arrested on fresh charges of possession of ivory without a permit.

Jephat Siziba from Beitbridge bought Takavada’s former car through a Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (Zimra) public auction held at the Victoria Falls border and claimed that he found three elephant tusks stashed in the vehicle’s boot.

Advertisement

The smuggler’s fresh trial opened on April 5, 2022 before Victoria Falls magistrate Lindiwe Maphosa.

On Tuesday, Takavada through her lawyer Charity Mandeya from Mhaka Attorneys applied for the case to be dropped, saying it had become apparent that he was framed.

Mandeya said testimonies from the two main witnesses namely Siziba and the investigations officer Tinashe Mbongoro, who contradicted each other showed that a trap had been set for her client.

Advertisement

Siziba said Takavada knew about the tusks as he called him on several occasions trying to discourage him from bidding for his car at the auction.

He said the accused also indicated that he wanted to collect his wheel spanners from the boot of the car.

On the other hand Mbongoro, who was part of the police team that arrested Takavada, said they had warned Siziba that he would be arrested if he did not lead them to the owner of the ivory.

Advertisement

“Siziba then called the accused to come and collect his spanners and when he arrived at the scene, he went straight to the white sack which had two tusks and we immediately arrested him because we felt that was enough evidence to arrest him,” Mbongoro said.

“We had told the informant that if he had failed to bring the owner of those tusks, we were going to arrest him.”

Mandeya said Siziba and Mbongoro’s accounts showed that Takavada had been trapped.

Advertisement

“Japhet Siziba told the court that the police told him that if he failed to find the owner of the ivory he would be in hot soup,” she said.

“He denied having called the accused.

“However, upon being shown printed his Econet call history, it instead showed that he was the one who had called the accused

Advertisement

“His story is a clear fabrication.”

During cross examination Mbongoro admitted that they did not wait for Takavada to check what was inside the sack or to reach out to the third tusk which was under the seat before arresting him.

“The state case shows the highest level of fabrication,” Mandeya added.

Advertisement

“No extra crucial statements were recorded (and) no confirmations were done.

“In fact, the state’s evidence is grossly unreasonable (and) unreliable such that no reasonable court can act upon it.”

Prosecutor Audrey Mukanganya had told the court that on June 10, 2019 at around 3 PM, Takavada was driving a Toyota Gaia when he was arrested for carrying smuggled and restricted goods that he had brought into the country from Zambia through the Kazungula border post, leading to the seizure of his car.

Advertisement

The accused was convicted and jailed.

In October last year Siziba bought the car at the Zimra auction but could not immediately drive it as it had flat tyres and other faults.

He took it to a backyard garage to have it fixed. Mukanganya said when Siziba opened the spare wheel compartment, he discovered a white sack containing two elephant tusks wrapped with a black jacked and filed a police report on the same day.

Advertisement

Takavada was arrested the following day as he tried to collect the elephant tusks after a trap was laid by detectives.

 

 

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Ranger killed by elephant in Kariba

Published

on

BY NOKUTHABA DLAMINI 

A 62-year-old ranger, Josphat Mandishara, was tragically killed by an elephant in Kariba yesterday.

Advertisement

Mandishara, who worked for the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (ZimParks), was on patrol in the Gatche-gatche area with fellow rangers and police officers.

At around 10 pm, Mandishara returned to the harbor where their boat was docked, and that’s when he encountered the elephant. The elephant charged at him, causing fatal injuries. His colleagues were nearby, resupplying at the Gatche-gatche Irrigation Scheme.

Mandishara’s body was taken to Kariba District Hospital for a post-mortem, and the incident was reported to the police.

Advertisement

ZimParks has sent a team to manage the problem elephant and prevent similar incidents in the future.

The Director General of ZimParks, Prof. Edson Gandiwa, and his team have sent condolences to Mandishara’s family, friends, and colleagues. Mandishara will be remembered for his dedication to wildlife conservation in Zimbabwe.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

ZIMRA customs officer appears in court for criminal abuse of office

Published

on

BY STAFF REPORTER 

A Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) customs officer, Phillip Kuvenga, has been accused of criminal abuse of office for allegedly assisting in the importation of banned motor vehicles.

Advertisement

Kuvenga, 28, who is stationed at Victoria Falls, allegedly received documents from clients, completed valuation sheets, and carried out the valuation process. However, he is accused of endorsing different chassis numbers to deceive his supervisors during the validation and approval process.

After obtaining approval, Kuvenga would capture the correct chassis numbers in the ASYCUDA World System. He would then alter or replace the documents submitted earlier to his supervisors.

The offense came to light when a motor vehicle that had not yet arrived in Zimbabwe was found to have been already registered. A thorough check by ZIMRA led to Kuvenga’s arrest.

Advertisement

Kuvenga appeared in court on February 1, where he was denied bail by Magistrate Gift Manyka. He is expected to appear in court again today for another bail hearing.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

National

Retailers send Mnangagwa SOS as shops continue shutting down over operational woes

Published

on


BY ZIMLIVE

The Confederation of Zimbabwe Retailers (CZR) has implored President Emmerson Mnangagwa to intervene and save the sector which has seen various formal retail and wholesale businesses closing shop countrywide due to operational challenges.

Advertisement

In a statement on Sunday, CZR president Denford Mutashu said the continued closure of formal retail and wholesale businesses is a direct consequence of the tough economic environment that has consistently failed to support formalised sector players who face stiff competition from informal businesses and vendors the majority of whom have no tax obligations to deal with.

Mutashu said his association was concerned that authorities continue to downplay the crisis.

“The recent closure of several outlets under the N. Richards Group, coupled with Spar Zimbabwe’s painful decision to shut down Queensdale Spar, Choppies Zimbabwe’s exit from the market, and Mahommed Mussa’s significant reduction of shop space by 60%, highlights the growing crisis.

Advertisement

“As the representative association for these and other brands, CZR is alarmed that while formal businesses face enormous challenges, the authorities continue to present a different picture of the operating environment,” he said.

Given the situation, Mutashu said, only President Mnangagwa can rescue the troubled sector.

“CZR therefore calls for urgent intervention from His Excellency, President Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa, to rescue what remains of the formalized retail and wholesale sector,” said Mutashu.

Advertisement

He said the sector was in urgent need of rescue.

“While CZR acknowledges the continued support from the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, it is clear that the root causes of these challenges are fiscal and monetary in nature. These require urgent and decisive action to ensure the survival of formal businesses.

“CZR therefore appeals to the Presidium to prioritize interventions aimed at saving jobs and mitigating the ongoing wave of shop closures and retrenchments,” he said.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 VicFallsLive. All rights reserved, powered by Advantage